Saturday, November 3, 2012

Keep It Simple Pumpkin Pie

I'm not going to mention the gap in my blog posts.   Well, OK I mentioned it.  I just really want to forget October.  It was a bad month for me.  I had some kind of weird throat virus, followed by viral pink eye, and for the hat trick (that reference is for the hockey fans out there) I had an ear infection. 

OK, back to the topic at hand.  Project Pie this month is a pumpkin pie.  It's the basic Libby's recipe with a few small tweaks.  Instead of adding all the individual spices, I used pumpkin pie spice.  I also added a teaspoon of vanilla to round out the spices.  The rest is just as the recipe says.  Easy easy easy.

It couldn't get any more cliche than pumpkin pie for November, but I couldn't resist.  I love pumpkin pie, and besides my boys wanted me to "practice" one before Thanksgiving.  I am in charge of desserts and this will be one of the choices.

recipe (Libby's Pumpkin Recipe)

3/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
1 can pumpkin puree (16 oz.)
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 unbaked deep dish pie crust (frozen or home made)

In a large bowl, combine sugar, spices, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs.  Slowly add milk and blend.  Pour into the pie crust. 

Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 2 hours.

Tip:  Put pie crust on a cookie sheet when baking.  The filling is very thin and this will help with spills.

No comments:

Post a Comment