Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Almost Successful Mini Cherry Pie

We are in month two of Project Pie.  I wasn't going to post my mini cherry pies this month.  Why you ask???  Well, the filling was tasty enough, but I wasn't happy with the crust portion.

Then I started thinking, the whole point of this is trial and error.  This month was definitely an error, but could be remedied if you use pie dough instead of my idea of won ton wrappers.

I had left over won ton wrappers, and was trying to come up with a lower fat version of cherry pie.  The filling was delicious, the edges of the pie was good, but the bottom lacked the texture I was hoping for.  So lesson learned:  Don't use won ton wrappers for a pie crust if you want a true pie crust texture.

I did decide to give the recipe for the filling.  You can make it and use pie crust, pushed into muffin tins and it will be delicious.  I did mini apple tarts a few years ago and the process will be the same.  Here's the link for the technique.

cherry pie filling (enough for 8 tarts)

1 can of pitted cherries, not pie filling (found in the canned fruit aisle)
1/3 c. sugar
1 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. almond extract
zest of one lemon

Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid, set cherries aside.  In a small sauce pan, add the cherry juice (about 1/3 c.), sugar, lemon zest.  In a small bowl, whisk the corn starch with 3 tbsp. cold water.  Add to juice mixture.  Over a medium-low heat, dissolve the sugar and allow mixture to thicken.  This will only take a 3 to 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, add cherries, and almond extract.  Fill prepared crusts. 

This alone also makes a great topping for pancakes, waffles, or ice cream.

Topped with whipped cream, powder sugar, and ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment