Friday, January 27, 2012

The Winner Is: Chicken Caprese Panini

Chicken Caprese Panini was the winner in the voting yesterday.  I was happy to post either recipe, but this one is great for a dinner, lunch, or midnight snack.  I do apologize for not having a finished picture, Jay ate it before I snapped the "beauty shot".

This falls under the super simple category.  Honestly, if you can make grilled cheese, you can do this!

Here's what you need:

2 slices of Italian or Ciabatta bread
3 to 4 oz of chicken breast, grilled or roasted
2 slices mozzarella cheese
sun dried tomatoes, I used the ones in a jar in olive oil
1 tbsp. pesto
cooking spray

First grill or roast your chicken, let it rest, and slice it in strips (I used about 1/2 of a standard chicken breast).  Lay out your bread, and spread the pesto on evenly on both pieces.

Next, layer the mozzarella cheese, chicken, and tomatoes onto one slice of bread. 






Put the other piece of bread on top of the sandwich, pesto side down.  Then lightly spray the outer side of the sandwich with cooking spray.  (This takes the place of the butter, on the grilled cheese.)

Now here comes my fancy panini maker....ready for it???



I use my George Forman grill.  It works great.  But if you don't have one, just use a fry pan and weight the sandwich down with another heavy fry pan on the top.



I grill it for about 3 to5 minutes....just keep peeking to see if the outside is brown and the cheese is melty :)

Serve with a salad, and just by itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment