Monday, January 9, 2012

Marbled Crayons

Every once in a while, I get an idea that just gets stuck in my head.  Now this idea is not my own, but something that I have seen over and over that last several years. 

When I was a little girl, my Grandma would save our broken crayons.  (She saved just about everything to re-purpose.  She would iron wrapping paper and use it again.)  Every now and then, when we went over to play, she would pull out the "special" crayons.  I never knew how she did it, but we had these awesome rainbow crayons.

Then a couple of years ago, my boys started going to our local library class.  When the teacher would pull out the crayon bags, the kids all flocked to the "rainbow" crayons.  Then a few months ago, I saw a blurb in a magazine about making your own crayons. 

Okay, these crayons are calling to me.  This weekend we made our own marbled crayons.  This was a huge hit with both kids, ages 6 & 4.  I enlisted my older son to help peel the wrappers from the crayons, and my youngest tested out the finished product.  The craft was super duper easy, and costs only pennies.



All you need is a muffin pan, some crayons, and an oven.  We used Crayola crayons.  I also purchased a new muffin pan from the dollar store, so I wouldn't ruin my good pans. 

So here's how you make them:

Peel the paper off of the crayons.  I grouped like colors together.  For example, three different shades of green.  Break the crayons into 3 to 4 pieces and put them into a muffin tin.  (When putting the crayons in the tin, I made sure the different shades were dispersed evenly, to give a marbled look.)



Bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes.  You just want the wax to be completed melted, no chunks.  Then carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.



Once they are completely cooled, turn the tin over on a towel and tap it lightly on the counter.  The crayons will pop right out.





These make great party favors for birthday parties too!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment