Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Golden Banana Loaves

Are you frantic yet??? Have you completely lost your mind???  I know I felt that way yesterday.  All the hustle and bustle is upon us.  Today, I'm back on track.  I actually had a few minutes this morning to read, and make banana bread.

I make this recipe about once a week.  It is by far Jay's favorite and the children like it too.  If I don't put a limit on the amount he can have, Jay will literally eat a whole loaf at once. 

This is actually a combination of two different recipes.  The first recipe is from the Cake Mix Doctor, and the second recipe is an adaptation from a Pillsbury quick bread mix.  I took the a cake mix base, and then add maple syrup from the quick bread mix.  The result is a super moist, banana bread, with a layer of flavors.  Jay always jokes, that getting a piece out in tact is a victory.  It's so moist, and likes to fall apart.  Also, because it is so moist, it freezes well.

I have made this bread for a lot of people.  It is always well received and I get tons of compliments.  So you need a last minute gift???  Make a loaf or two and give them away.  I guarantee you will be a hit :) 

recipe

1 yellow cake mix
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 c. soured milk, add 1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar to milk and let stand 30 minutes
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix until well blended.  Pour batter evenly into two 8 inch loaf pans.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on baking rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment