Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Challah Bread Recipe (for bread machine)

Bread, oh how I adore thee!  I haven't found a bread that I don't like, which is probably why my waistline is bigger than I do like ;)

I have mentioned before, I received a bread machine last year for Christmas.  I have baked traditional white bread in the machine, but mostly I use it on the dough cycle for rolls, pizza dough, and oven baked breads such as Italian bread and Challah.  I have posted a recipe for Challah French Toast, but never showed how to make the actual bread.  So here it is.

Linking to these parties.
ingredients (1.5 lb loaf)

3 1/4 c. bread flour
1 c. plus 1 tbsp. warm water, run the hot tap water for a few minutes
3 tbsp. canola or olive oil
2 tbsp. honey (you can use sugar)
1 tsp. salt, I use Kosher salt
2 tsp. yeast
1 egg, room temperature

In the pan of the bread machine add water, egg, oil, honey, and salt.  Carefully add the flour on top and make a small well.  Add the yeast to the well.  Fit the pan into the bread machine and start dough cycle for 1.5 lb loaf.

Once the cycle is complete, on a floured surface turn dough out of pan.  Divide the dough into three pieces.  Roll the pieces in long ropes, about 15 inches long.  Lay the dough next to each other on the counter, pinching them together at one end.  Start braiding the three ropes, pinching the dough at the other end to seal it together. 

Transfer the dough to a greased cookie sheet and cover with a towel.  Allow to rest and double in size about 45 minutes.  Brush with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tsp. water).  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.  The bottom will sound hollow when tapped with a knife.

Allow to cool on rack.  You can also top with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking.  Also for a more advanced Challah, divide the dough into six pieces and braid a six strand bread.

Wrap it for a holiday gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment