Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Cookie Corner (Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Raisin)

I promised an oatmeal cookie for fall.  Here it is.  It's my grandmother's recipe, so I didn't substitute a thing.  Well except for the chocolate chips ;)  My grandmother used walnuts in her recipe, I substituted those for chocolate, can't go wrong, right?

This cookie has a soft texture, not thin and crispy.  If you prefer your oatmeal cookie to be flat and crisp, do not make this one.  I used golden raisins as well, but you can use regular raisins or even cran-raisins. This also yields about 4 dozen.  I baked half of the batch, and then scooped and froze the rest.  Now I can have cookies in a pinch.  Just add a few more minutes when baking from frozen.

recipe

2/3 c. shortening
2 1/2 c. flour
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
2 c. oats
1 c. raisins
1 c. chocolate chips or 1/2 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a mixer.  Drop by teaspoon or standard cookie scoop onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Slightly flatten tops (these don't really spread).  Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.  Allow to cool on sheet for one minute then transfer to wire rack.

This cookie is also delicious without the raisins, as a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.  That's how my boys prefer it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment