Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wholesome Wednesday (Fudgy Frosting-Scratch Recipe)

So how does a chocolate frosted cupcake make it onto Wholesome Wednesday?  When it is a scratch recipe with ingredients that can all be pronounced without a degree in chemistry.

Over the past few years, I have become more aware of the ingredients in the food we ingest.  It started when we had a scare with my youngest son, thinking he may be diabetic.  I started reading labels very diligently.  What I noticed was the obscene amount of preservatives and chemicals in everyday foods. 

I don't want to get started on my soap box about the cost of eating healthy.  I have made sacrifices in other areas of our budget, so I can buy organic when possible.  Even sometimes those items have a some unwanted preservatives in them too.  I am trying to get back to basics.  Basics meaning, cooking and baking with ingredients in the most natural form as possible.  So I wanted to make a treat for the boys for going back to school.  I decided on cupcakes, but scratch ones with a scratch frosting.

I don't mind having treats in the house.  I do mind all the extra junk.  This recipe has five ingredients, all already in most pantries and refrigerators.  Now I know we can't eliminate chemicals in all our foods.  However, if we start to eliminate it where we can, we are on our way to healthier lives.

recipe (enough to frost 24 cupcakes or 8 inch layer cake)

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
6 tbsp. boiling water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. powder sugar

In a large bowl, combine cocoa and water until a soft paste forms.  You may need to add a bit more water depending on humidity.  Add butter and vanilla, cream together.  Slowly add powder sugar until just combined.  Don't over beat it or it will lighten in color.  Spread over cake or brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment