Saturday, May 14, 2011

Browned Butter Veggies

I have to admit, I really do love most vegetables.  However, cauliflower is one I'm not really a fan of.  When preparing tonight's dinner, I was out of fresh veggies, so I went to consult my supply in the freezer.  The only thing I had was a mix of broccoli and cauliflower.  So in order to make it a little more appetizing, I stole a page from my mother-in-law's book, and made them with browned butter.

I had never had browned butter on vegetables until I started dating Jay and eating at his parents house.  I liked the taste of them.  That was actually the first place I had brussel sprouts too.  You can apply this method to any cooked vegetable.  It is especially delicious on carrots and green beans as well.

recipe

1 12 oz. bag of steamers vegetables
1/4 tsp. season salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. butter

Simply steam the vegetables according to package instructions.  In a small pot, slowly melt the butter, and allow to cook until golden brown.  Toss the browned butter, salt, and pepper over vegetables. Serve as a side dish to any meal.

I paired it tonight with sloppy joes.

No comments:

Post a Comment