Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valentine Hearts

I actually wasn't planning on making cookies for Valentine's Day.  I am on a weight loss journey, and to date have lost 18 pounds, with another 12 to 15 to go.  So being on this journey, I was abstaining from sweets this Valentine's.  Then I was asked to make unfrosted heart shaped sugar cookies for Brandon's preschool. 

So, I made his couple dozen unfrosted cookies and had a few dozen left.  I could easily just freeze them for a later date, but Adam asked who those other cookies are for.  Being the softy that I am when it comes to my kids, I decided to whip up a batch of royal icing and frost them for the boys, Jay included.  Now I won't lie, I will sample just one, probably the biggest one.  The rest are for the boys and a few other lucky friends.

The recipe is the same one I used on Halloween for the ghosts, and for the cupcake cookies on Brandon's birthday.  Click here for the recipe.  I colored the royal icing with red gel food color (I also use pasteurized egg whites in a carton to make the royal icing).  A few drops for the light pink border, add a few more drops for hot pink icing, and even more for red.






Linking to these parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment