Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chocolate Pastry Puffs

I am so so sorry to my blog. I have been very neglectful lately.  In my defense, I have had a strange couple of weeks.  We have had snow days out of the blue, doctors visits, and just a bunch of little things that have distracted me.  I am trying to get back on track, and today's little gem is a goodie.  Now I know Wednesdays are supposed to provide a wholesome treasure, but I just didn't feel like it today.  Please don't judge me, but I really want something really unhealthy today.

My inspiration for the chocolate pastry puffs comes from a famous bakery chain Au Bon Pain.  On my first trip to New York City, we stayed in a little boutique hotel near Union Square.  Every morning Jay and I would go to Au Bon Pain and get breakfast and take it to the park to enjoy.  Most mornings I tried to be healthy and get fresh fruit and a bagel, but one day I strayed. I ordered a chocolate croissant, and oh my it was so delicious!  I am not going to even attempt making croissants and then filling it with chocolate, too much work. However, I can easily defrost puff pastry and fill with chocolate chips and sweetened cream cheese.

As I was going through my freezer, I discovered I had a sheet of puff pastry left over from the beef wellingtons.  I always have cream cheese and chocolate chips in the house, viola my little pastry puffs were born.  The recipe will make six little puffs and uses one sheet of puff pastry, but if you would like to thaw out the whole box, just double the cream cheese and chocolate chips.  These are great for parties.

recipe (yields six pastry puffs)

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 tbsp. powder sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 c. chocolate chips, plus an additional 1/4 c. melted for drizzle
1 egg, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Unroll the thawed puff pastry, cut into six rectangles, and lay on an ungreased cookie sheet.  In a small bowl, stir cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together.  Evenly spoon mixture among the pastry, about 1/2 teaspoon each.  Sprinkle about 6 to 8 chocolate chips on each pastry. Fold in half and crimp the edges with a fork.  Cut a small slit in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.  Brush with egg wash, 1 egg with tablespoon of water whisked, and bake for 14 to 16 minutes. The pastry will be golden brown and puffed.

Allow to cool on a rack.  Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, melt the remaining chocolate chips until smooth. Heat on high in 30 second intervals.  Drizzle over the top of the pastry with a fork.  Serve at room temperature.


Linking to these parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment