Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wholesome Wednesday (no sugar waffles)

Waffles! It's one of the foods that we enjoy weekly for breakfast or dinner.  I always bought the boxed waffles by the case at the club stores, and I would go through them very fast.  Then about two years ago, I purchased one of the best values for my kitchen....a Belgian waffle maker.  I splurged and bought the Waring Pro, and I love everything about it. I can make a batch of waffles, from prep to finish in about ten minutes, and that includes clean up.

For the last couple of years I have used a traditional waffle mix, and it produces delicious waffles. Then I started thinking, how can I make this better for Brandon (with his glucose issues), and the rest of us.  So I took a scratch waffle recipe and gave it a few tweaks.  I made this yesterday and served them to the boys (including my husband), and the consensus was, they are delicious.  I simply swapped out some of the all purpose flour for whole wheat, and I used Splenda instead of sugar.  I served them with sugar-free syrup approved for diabetes and they gobbled them up.

I was going to switch the eggs for egg substitute but I was out. I think I will try to other variations of this base recipe in the near future.  I also had an after thought, put some walnuts in the batter for a little more protein :o)

recipe

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp Splenda

2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs

combine all ingredients with a whisk.  prepare waffles according to your manufacturers instructions.  top with sugar-free syrup or fruit. 

tip: grated lemon or orange zest in the batter would be a nice touch too!

No comments:

Post a Comment