Monday, August 9, 2010

Short-Cut Donuts

It was a wonderful weekend in Oneonta. My parents came to visit, while my dad did some electrical work, my mom entertained the kids. We enjoyed going out for ice cream and going to Fly Creek Cider Mill.  We love the cider mill for something to do with the kids. (I will feature it in Places To Go  shortly)  One thing we love most at the cider mill, is the donuts. They are so delicious and I can't possibly think of how to copy them, but I can make my own special short cut donuts.

The boys love my short cut donuts.  I started making these a couple of years ago, when my mom reminded me of a recipe her mom used to make.  While my Grandma Wechter would make homemade donuts, she also made this quick version. I also used this opportunity to use a spice I had inadvertently bought, apple pie spice.  I had meant to buy cumin one day, and when I got home to make tacos I quickly discovered apple pie spice :o(  I don't make a ton of apple pies, so now I have to find ways to use it up, well here's a dandy.

This is how I did it:

1 package of large biscuits (refrigerated ones in the can)
vegetable oil
apple pie spice
sugar



In a pot add oil to reach about 3 inches up the side and turn on over medium heat (about 375 degrees)
Using a round cutter cut out a whole in each biscuit and slowly drop into oil. Cook for two minutes on each side and lay on paper towels to drain.





Mix 1/2 cup of sugar to 1 tsp apple pie spice in a dish and toss donuts to coat. Lay on a cooling rack to cool, store in an airtight container for a couple of days.  Other variations, dust with powder sugar, frost with chocolate or vanilla glaze & top with sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment